Dave Carroll is an award winning singer-songwriter, professional speaker, author and social media innovator based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He began his music career with his brother Don in the band Sons of Maxwell and has been enjoying success as a solo artist for the last four years. For two decades, Dave has charmed fans with his approach to music. His ability to extract the essence of a message and craft it into song is a rare gift that is attracting fans of all ages while his sense of humour and disarmingly warm stage presence makes each live experience a memorable one for audiences around the world.
Known as a master storyteller, Dave’s incredible talent was introduced to millions when his 2009 YouTube music video ‘United Breaks Guitars’ became a worldwide sensation. The song chronicled his experience in the customer service process with United Airlines. His creative use of social media to share that message has reached over 150 million people. United Breaks Guitars was named one of the five most important videos in Google’s History.
The United Breaks Guitars trilogy has awakened companies everywhere to the importance of focusing on the customer and on delivering exceptional customer experience. Dave Carroll is a musician with a message, demonstrating the power one voice can have in today’s socially driven world. Dave has become internationally famous as one of the world’s top media relations innovators & customer experience authorities. He is also widely sought after as a content creator & songwriter.
Dave has been featured in major news media around the world (including ABC’s ‘The View,’ ABC’s 20/20, CNN, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Rolling Stone Magazine, Wall Street Journal & BBC to name a few). Several case studies and book references about United Breaks Guitars have been published including one’s by Harvard Business School, University of Toronto and a Thesis by Allison Soule for University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dave has testified (and sung) on Capitol Hill in Washington, delivered keynotes at Columbia University’s Brite Conference, NewComm Forum, Mesh Conference, Atlantic Brand Confabulation (with Gene Simmons) , SXSW Interactive, The Power of PR CPRS Conference, G-Force Prague, G-Force Melbourne & other significant customer service & corporate events (including for RightNow Technologies & Sandvik Coromant).
In 2010 Dave’s song and video ‘Everyday Heroes’ was released on 911Song.com. In a world where broken promises are commonplace, when it counts most, there are people willing to help strangers because they gave their word that they would. The essence of ‘Everyday Heroes’ is about these individuals keeping their promise to respond, regardless of who is in need or the unknown risks that may await the First Responders. As a volunteer firefighter himself for 5 years, Dave wrote ‘Everyday Heroes’ after being challenged by a friend to honour those who answer the call.
Most recently, Dave has published his first book: “United Breaks Guitars: The Power of One Voice in the Age of Social Media,” (May 2012) with the highly respected, Hayhouse Publishing Inc., and he is also set to release his second solo album “Raincoat in Vegas,” later in 2012.
Said to be ‘one of the nicest guys in the business,’ Dave Carroll is one of Canada’s brightest shining stars.
AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
EAST COAST MUSIC AWARDS (ECMA)
• WIN 2006 Vibe Marketing Country Recording of the Year (Sunday Morning) with Sons of Maxwell
• WIN 2002 Roots Traditional Album of the Year (Among The Living) with Sons of Maxwell
• Nomination 2010 Entertainer of the Year
• Nomination 2010 Fan’s Choice Video of the Year
• Nomination 2010 Fan’s Choice Favourite Artist
• Nomination 2009 Male Solo Recording of the Year (Perfect Blue)
• Nomination 2009 Pop Recording of the Year (Perfect Blue)
• 2009 SOCAN Songwriter’s Circle
• 2006 Nomination Group Recording of the year (Sunday Morning) with Sons of Maxwell
NOVA SCOTIA MUSIC AWARDS
• WIN 2009 Digital Artist of the Year
• WIN 2009 Video of the Year – United Breaks Guitars
• WIN 2008 Inspirational Album of the Year (Perfect Blue)
• WIN 2000 Group of the Year (with Sons of Maxwell)
• Nomination 2010 Digital Artist of the Year
• Nomination 2009 Male Artist Recording of the Year
• Nomination 2009 SOCAN Songwriter of the Year
• Nomination 2008 Country Album of the Year (Perfect Blue)
• 2008 Nova Scotia Music Awards – Songwriters Circle Showcase
• 2006 Nominations Country Recording, Group Recording & Pop/Rock album of the year (Sunday Morning) – with Sons of Maxwell
CANADIAN FOLK MUSIC AWARDS
Nomination 2008 Canadian Folk Music Awards – Contemporary Singer of the Year
ONTARIO INDEPENDENT MUSIC AWARDS
Nomination 2008 Ontario Independent Music Awards – Best Canadian Artist (not from Ontario)
HOLLYWOOD MUSIC AWARDS
Nomination for 2008 Hollywood Music Awards – Male Vocalist of the Year Category
• Winner 11th Annual Great American Song Contest (Country Category) w/ United Breaks Guitars (2009)
• Nomination 2008 Independent Singer Songwriter Contest – Singer Songwriter of the Year
• Finalist in the 2008 UK Songwriting Contest (Great Divide)
• Runner Up in the 2008 Singer/Songwriter Awards (Great Divide)
• Shortlisted in the 2008 Australian Songwriting Contest (Great Divide)
• 1st Place in the 12th Annual Unisong Int’l Songwriting contest (Acoustic/Folk) (Now)
• July 2008 winner (monthly winner) 12th Annual Unisong Int’l Songwriting contest (Now)
• Finalist 12th Annual Unisong Int’l Songwriting Contest (AAA/Americana) (Great Divide)
• 2008 Great American Song Contest (Outstanding Achievement in Songwriting Award) (Now)
• 2008 Mid Atlantic Song Contest (Honorable Mention) (Now)
• Semi-finalist in the 2008 UK Songwriting Contest (Now)
• Finalist in the 2008 John Lennon Songwriting contest (Now)
• Shortlisted in the 2008 Australian Songwriting Contest (Now)
• Honour Award in the 2008 – 100% Music Songwriting Contest (Folk/Singer songwriter) (Now)
• Consumers’ Choice Award Man of the Year – Halifax (2010)
• TIME Magazine named United Breaks Guitars #12 out of the Top 50 Greatest YouTube Hits ever (2010)
• TIME Magazine named United Breaks Guitars #7 on the Top Viral Videos list of 2009
• United Breaks Guitars reached #1 on the UK Itunes Country song charts in July 2009
• United Breaks Guitars reached the top #14 on the Itunes Canada video charts July 2009
• Perfect Blue reached the Itunes Canada top 100 albums (in July 2009 real time stats)
• United Breaks Guitars in real time reached the #1 Most Viewed, Discussed & Top Rated YouTube Music Video (in July 2009)
• United Breaks Guitars was name one of the top 5 most important videos in YouTube history
• Perfect Blue CD Inspires Feature Film Entitled “NOW” (Curve Productions)
• Promise to Pursue (Perfect Blue) number one on the East Coast Countdown (April 2008).
• Grammy award-winning country music star Kathy Mattea recorded “The Place I Call Home” (Perfect Blue), co-written with Grammy winner Jon Vezner. The song is part of a three disk, 36-song compilation CD called “This is My America, that was released in 2009.”
• 2005 selected with Sons of Maxwell to perform a tour in China in September following the 2004 ECMA showcase.
• 2004 Based on the success of three Western Canada showcase performances, Sons of Maxwell played nearly 50 soft-seat concerts in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan.
• Completed a 17-city tour of Germany in November 2003. This was the band’s third tour of Bavaria (Sons of Maxwell)
• The song “Hold On” was recognized by the Canadian Alzheimer’s Society for its strong message.
covered S.O.M. originals in live shows and recorded projects.
• Showing their popularity, several artists have covered S.O.M. originals in live shows and recorded projects.